George Blackburn

Per the Land Office at Richmond VA, in Bk H, pg 594, in 1755 Lord Fairfax made a Grant of land to “Arthur, George and William Blackburn of Fairfax County VA”. The land granted them was in Frederick County VA, “on Mulberry Run.”

George Blackburn lived on the Shenandoah County side of Cedar Creek in old Frederick County. He married Elizabeth Vance, daughter of Samuel and Sarah Colville Vance at Opequon. Blackburn purchased a tract at Wolf Hill from Dr. Thomas Walker through agent Daniel Smith at Winchester. They were part of the 1772 caravan to Wolf Hill with his brothers Willaim Blackburn and George Blackburn and her sisters Christian Acklin, Martha Cusick, and Jane Vance. George was one of the callers to Rev. Charles Cummings, the fighting parson of Sinking Spring Presbyterian Church.

The George Blackburn tract was on Wolf Creek between Robert Craig, James Piper, Andrew Colville, and Thomas Caldwell in the original Wolf Hill subdivision. US58 west from Lee Highway out of Abingdon crosses the corner of the tract.

George was involved in various community activities in the creation of Fincastle and Washington counties.When the commissioners found others negligent in their duties, they could count on George to join a road committee and get it done.

The Will of George Blackburn was recorded 18Aug1778 in Washington Co VA Will Book 1, page 13.