Andrew Evans

Andrew Evans became virtual brother for life to Samuel Newell.

Evans was in Col Campbell’s regiment from Col Campbell’s neighborhood. Evans vouched for his neighbor Isaac Roman on Hungry Mother Creek in Washington County (now Smyth) VA court to operate a Tippling House. Roman let him down by dliuting moonshine and gouging customers.

The British practiced loading and firing. It was slower to load a long rifle. The Red Coats could get off two misses from their muskets while Evans made only one hit. Col. Campbell broke Andrew’s concentration with a slap on his rifle “Evans, for God’s sake, don’t shoot! It is murder to kill them now for they have raised the flag!”

The Boyds Creek-Little T punishment of the Cherokees began Evans’ move to the French Broad where he established a ferry at Buckingham Island and served as magistrate for Sevier County. He moved to Kentucky in 1797 with Raleigh Clack, Andrew Cowan, Samuel Newell, and others because of Joseph Martin’s Hopewell Treaty and its complications. Evans sold the ferry to John Brabson in 1804 (Wayne Co KY Deed Book I).
Evans’ ferry property to John Brabson

Evans lived on Pitman Creek across the Cumberland River from Samuel Newell. First Tax commmissioner for Pulaski County, but removed to Owen County IN, the Somerset DAR missed his name on their monument. Andrew Evans is buried, like Newell, near Gosport IN. Evans and Newell live together forever through intermarriages of their children.

Pension application of Andrew Evans W10019 Elizabeth fn76NC
Transcribed by Will Graves supp’d 12/5/08
[Methodology: Spelling, punctuation and grammar have been corrected in some instances for ease of reading and to facilitate searches of the database. Also, the handwriting of the original scribes often lends itself to varying interpretations. Users of this database are urged to view the original and to make their own decision as to how to decipher what the original scribe actually wrote. Blanks appearing in the transcripts reflect blanks in the original.]
State of Indiana, Owen County
On this 16th day of October AD 1832, personally appeared in open court before the honorable Avery Rising [?] presiding judge and Abraham Evans, associate, William Bull, associate (being absent), judges of the Circuit Court of the said County of Owen , the same being a court of Record, now sitting, Andrew Evans, a resident of said County aged 73 years, having been born on the 28th of September 1759, who being first duly sworn, according to Law, doth, on his Oath, make the following declaration, for the purpose of obtaining the benefit of the act of Congress passed June 7th, 1832: — That he entered the service of the United States under the following named officers, and served as herein stated: — His first service was as a Volunteer, in the Virginia Militia under a Captain William Neil from Montgomery County, Virginia, from which County this applicant entered the service from Washington County, Virginia, that being his place of residence: Captain Neil was under Colonel William Campbell, and the service lasted about two weeks, during which time the body of troops to which this applicant belonged was in search for, and in pursuit of, the Tories, on New River, below Peppers Ferry, in the town and of Montgomery County, as well as this declarant recollects (and he is pretty certain he is correct) it was in the month of May next before the battle at King’s Mountain. His lieutenant’s name was John Nash Lyon – His Ensign’s name he thinks was [illegible]. After this short term, the troops were marched back and discharged verbally in Surry County North Carolina.
Second: This declarant was afterwards ordered out by the Col. of Washington County to aid in guarding a Tory Captain of the name of James Carr, on his way to Richmond, as far as Haws [?] Meadows– in which service he was employed about one week – this was a short time after the former service. The custody of said Carr was given to David Kincaid of Washington County.
Third: This applicant was afterwards in the month of July called out by Colonel William Campbell to go with a body of troops to the Moravian Town in North Carolina against the Tories, who were there rising. His Captain was Jacob Stephens; and his Lieutenant was the same Nash [? could be “Wash”]– They marched from Washington & Montgomery to the said Moravian Town and traversed the Country from there to Allen’s Iron works, and on to the Town Fork of Dan River, and at the Shallow Ford of the Yadkin [River] – from thence they returned to the Moravian Town, where they were stationed for about a month, after they had continued there that length of time, they went on to the waters of Dan River again – After this they returned home, with orders to be in readiness at a moments warning to again take the field. This tour lasted about seven or eight weeks – he thinks he may safely say seven weeks.
Fourth: In about ten days after applicant had returned home, another call was made, on the County of Washington, where the applicant still lived, as well as upon other surrounding counties. This declarant again entered the service as a volunteer under Captain William Edmondson; the lieutenant’s name was also Edmondson; shortly after the Company met, being volunteers, they were marched to Abingdon, Virginia in the same County, and joined the command of Col. William Campbell – marched into Sullivan & Washington (then North Carolina, now Tennessee) where they joined Sevier [John Sevier] & Shelby [Isaac Shelby], and the three colonels some short time after joined Cleveland [Benjamin Cleveland] – This junction was formed by the battle at King’s Mountain in which this applicant took part. He recollects that Captain Edmondson & his lieutenant were both killed on the field – Major Lewis was wounded and died the third day. He saw Colonel Furguson [sic, Major Patrick Ferguson] after he fell and saw all his wounds – the one which proved fatal was received by a ball which struck him in the face. — he recollects the name of Mills, a Tory Colonel, who was hung afterwards – He also remembers the name of a Captain of the Tories of the name of Inman, who was pursued some distance but not taken. After this battle, this applicant continued in service so as to make in all, the period of two months that he was out in this tour; he thinks a little over, but he considers himself safe saying two months: He was discharged verbally, but honorably as one of those who had fought bravely at King’s Mountain: He thinks he got home in November after the battle.
5.: Immediately after his return, this applicant went into Washington County North Carolina (now Tennessee) and volunteered under Sevier (Colonel) to go against the Indians (Cherokees). This tour lasted three months which he performed, and was at the end, honorably discharged. One of the Major’s name was Tipton; the Captain this applicant was under was of the name of David Edmondson, a relative of him who was killed at King’s Mountain – He returned home from this campaign in the close of the winter or beginning of the spring following – dates not recollected. — The troops of Sevier marched into the Cherokee County, and had during the campaign one small engagement – in which about 16 Indians were found dead and a number wounded. He recollects they took their [several illegible words] Town called Old Chota. This campaign ended this applicant’s services in the Revolution.
From all of which it will appear that he was entitled to pay for:

1. One tour of two weeks

2. One do – one do

3. One do – seven do

4. One do – two months

5. One do – three month

5 months 10 weeks or 5 mo. & 70 days, equal to 7 months and ten days.
He has no written documents to prove his services – having never received a discharge in writing – but he solemnly declares upon his oath that he faithfully served his Country as he has herein set forth. He has no living witness by whom he can prove his services, and must rely upon this his declaration, and the testimony of his neighbors hereto annexed. He states that he served in each tour as a volunteer – he was born in Mecklenburg County North Carolina. He has lived since the revolution 13 years in Tennessee – 27 years in Pulaski [County] in Kentucky; and nearly 8 years in said County of Owen, in the state of Indiana aforesaid where he now resides. He hereby relinquishes every claim whatever to a pension or annuity except the present, and declares that his name is not on the pension roll of the agency of any State of the Union.
Signed and sworn to, the day and year aforesaid.
S/ Andrew Evins [sic]
[Thomas C. Johnston, a clergyman, Elijah Lacy & John McCullough gave the standard supporting affidavit]
[fn p. 68]
State of Indiana Owen County: July 8, 1833
Personally appeared before me, the undersigned, a justice of the peace for said County, Andrew Evans, who, being duly sworn, deposeth and saith, that by reason of old age and the consequent loss of memory, he cannot swear positively to the precise length of his service, but according to the best of his recollection he served not less than the periods mentioned below, and in the following grade: First I served as a private soldier two weeks — secondly one week — served seven weeks — fourth two months, and fifth three months in all as a private soldier of the revolution, seven months and 10 days, for which I claim a pension. S/ Andrew Evans
S/ James Boldon, JP